As the weather gets warmer, I start craving colder treats – here is one that is sweet and creamy enough to be a treat, but healthy enough to be a breakfast.
It is nothing like what you would get at a frozen yogurt shop, but it has a great consistency similar to ice cream, and it just makes me feel like I am getting dessert for breakfast.
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- sugar/honey/agave to sweeten to taste (optional)
Place all ingredients in your food processor, turn on and stop once all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Before serving, taste it – if it is not sweet enough, you can add a teaspoon of your favorite sweetener or another banana and mix again.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips and random thoughts:
- I buy bananas, and when they are getting too ripe, that I am afraid I won’t be able to eat them while they are good, I peel them and place them in a ziploc and then in the freezer. You can then use frozen bananas on this recipe or a smoothie (for this recipe, cut in chunks before placing in food processor, I didn’t and it just moved around instead of getting chopped. Also you need to peel them before freezing – it’s really hard to do afterwards)
- I like using bananas to sweeten because they make the final product more filling and creamier.
- Even with full fat, it’s still only about 300 calories, you can top with toasted almonds or granola if you want to make it a breakfast… because of the protein of the yogurt is kind of filling (for what it is)
- Try with any other fruit
(Sophia – Toddler room)