A group of toddlers spend a rainy afternoon enjoying a special treat baked by one of our toddler parents. Vegan lemon poppy seed muffins! Toddlers love being in the kitchen just like our older kiddos, and this recipe is a great one for them to help with! Give them a whisk (and maybe an apron) and prepare for some fun (and maybe a little mess).
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 2½ tsp baking powder
· ¼ tsp baking soda
· ½ salt
· 3 tbsp poppy seeds
· ½ cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
· ¼ cup + 1 tbsp canola oil
· zest & juice of 1 lemon
· 1 cup soy milk
· 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
· Lemon Glaze
· ¾ cups powdered sugar
· 1+ tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes to curdle. In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together sugar, canola oil, and the lemon juice and zest. Slowly add curdled soy milk, whisking while adding, until completely incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, folding in gently until just combined.
4. Fill the muffin liners ⅔ full and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean. Set the muffins on a cooling rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile whisk together the powered sugar and lemon juice. You may need to add a little extra lemon juice to get a thick and smooth consistency.
6. Spoon about 1 tbsp of glaze over each warm muffins then let the muffins continue cooling until completely cool.